Clinton Township Police Department Firearms Application Procedures
To purchase a Firearms Identification Card and handgun you must:
- You must be 21 years of age for a handgun.
- Be a resident of Clinton Township.
- You must provide two forms of identification verifying your name and address (i.e. Drivers License, Passport, etc.)
- Fully complete State Form Application No. STS-33 for a Firearms ID Card and/or a Handgun Permit. 2 copies are required.
- Present your Firearms ID card if you are applying for a handgun permit. Please indicate how many permits you are requesting in the brackets ( ).
- Complete all boxes.
- Please sign and date the form.
- Question 31 - please supply the names, addresses w/zip codes, and phone numbers of two (2) people who you have known for at least three (3) years, and who are not Clinton Township Police Officers or family members.
- Complete the Mental Health Form SP-066 (part 1 only).
- Complete a local background check form.
- Call prior to your visit to arrange for a Detective to be available for fingerprinting if you have never applied for a firearms ID Card in the State of New Jersey.
- Submit a Certified Check or Money Order for $60.25 payable to Division of State Police - SBI. PERSONAL CHECKS ARE NOT ACCEPTED!
- Submit a $5.00 fee for the Identification Card.
- Submit a $2.00 fee for each handgun permit.
- An application for a Duplicate Firearms ID Card will be accepted from an applicant who: Has lost his or her Firearms ID Card or whose card has been stolen; Has a mutilated card (old card will be surrendered and destroyed); Or has a change of name, address, or sex (old card will be surrendered and destroyed, and a copy of the court order or marriage certificate will accompany all request for change of name).
- You must have previously been issued a Firearm ID card by a police department in New Jersey.
- Please complete form STS-3. 2 copies are required, and the form needs to be completed in its entirety.
- You must complete the Consent for Mental Health Records Search form (SP-66) - link and information are below.
- Bring your Firearms ID card (if applicable), and Driver's License with current address when forms are returned.
- If you have not lived in Clinton Township at least three (3) years please supply your previous addresses.
- Must not have had his or her Firearms Purchaser Identification Card revoked. Unless a court order exists authorizing the applicant to obtain a duplicate Firearms Purchaser Identification Card.
- You must not have become subject of the disabilities set forth under NJSA 2C:58-3c.
- Answer all requested information.
- DO NOT SIGN THIS FORM - Police personnel must witness your signature.
For questions regarding Firearms Licensing or Permits contact: