New Online Application System
The Clinton Township Police Strongly Urges All Residents to Utilize the Online Application Process Through the FARS Website…
Instructions for obtaining a Firearms ID card or Permit to Purchase a Handgun
- Clinton Township Police Department’s ORI number is NJ0100600
Please write this number down before
clicking on the link to the online application.
- Complete your application on-line at https://njportal.com/NJSP/FARS
**If an incorrect ORI number is entered on the form, you will NOT receive a firearms ID card or a permit to purchase a handgun. You will then have to re-apply using the correct ORI number and pay for the process again. A refund will NOT be issued.
- You may utilize either a smartphone, mobile device or computer to complete the process. Once your application is completed the Clinton Township Police Department will be notified and a background check will be conducted.
- Application fee: $21.00
- Initial Firearms Identification Card: $5.00
- Permit(s) to Purchase a Handgun: $2.00 for each permit
- Change of Address, Change of Name, Lost or Stolen ID card: No Fee
- Either a personal check or money order (payable to: Clinton Township) is needed. Cash or Credit Card will NOT be accepted. Payments can be submitted at the time you pick up your Firearms ID card and/or Permits to Purchase Handgun
** A Firearms ID card does not expire though it must be replaced if you change your address, name or the ID card is lost/stolen or mutilated. Permit(s) to Purchase a Handgun are valid for 90 days from the date of issue. If necessary, a 90-day extension is available by physically submitting the permit(s) to police headquarters.
** You will be receiving automated email updates throughout the background process.
** Once your application is completed, a representative from the Clinton Township Police Department will contact you to retrieve either your Firearms ID card and/or Permits to Purchase Handguns.
** Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to expedite your background application.
** Please ensure that both yourself and your references provide the correct information on the application. If a mistake is made, the application will no longer be able to be processed which you, the applicant, will have to resubmit the firearms application and again pay the required $21.00.
** If you have not been contacted by a representative from the Clinton Township Police Department then your application is still in progress. An applicant DOES NOT need to contact the police department for any updates. If there are any questions or concerns regarding an applicant’s application, a representative will contact the applicant.
For questions, regarding Firearms, contact:
(908) 735-6000 ext. 227